Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Meeting my host family!

I met my first host family at Camp Karkku!

They drove from Oulu to Karkku to pick me up from the camp and meet me! (Which was SUPER nice, because Oulu is a good 7 hours away.)

We ate lunch together at the camp, and talked a little bit, and then we had the closing of the language camp with all of the host families and exchange students together.

One of the exchange students played Finland's national anthem on his violin, while we all sang it. (I think I got some of the words wrong...but I tried my best!)

Someone from Rotary spoke in Finnish, and we had our little closing talks; and afterward we were free to go. I said my last goodbyes to some of my friends, and grabbed my bags; and headed to my host family's car.

My host mom sat in the back seat with me, so that we could talk during the long drive. We went through my Rotary First Night Questions, and we talked about some other stuff. (I cant remember what sadly, but I remember that we talked a lot!)

After a few hours, we stopped at a grocery store. We bought Fazer chocolate to share, a couple of different kinds of breads, Salmiakki (salty liquorice), Raspberry Liquorice gum, and ice cream cones. I actually don't know what kind mine was...but the wrapper had little orange berries that looked like raspberries...it was good! :)

My host parents asked me how much Finnish I knew...and I honestly don't know that much. But my host dad helped me count to 20; and that was a lot of fun. :)

We took a few more breaks, and I wandered around a handy-craft store with my host mom; and we drove some more and stopped at the center of Finland. (Which had a little landmark, and my host dad took some pictures. :) )

We eventually got to Oulu, my host city; and it is absolutely GORGEOUS! Everyone was telling me how small it was...but its HUGE compared to my little town in the states!

We stopped at a grocery store, and picked up some items for dinner, and then we drove to my host family's house. I met my older host sister, Fanni; and we took my bags upstairs.

We had dinner, and then I unpacked my things.

I actually really love my host family! Theyre as awesome as I thought they would be!

I just wish that my Finnish was good enough to hold a conversation... :(

1 comment: