Saturday, August 17, 2013

First Week of School

This past week was my first week in a Finnish High School at Oulun Lyseon Lukio.

It was better than what I thought it would be; but to tell you the truth, I didnt have any expectations. I think that its best not to have expectations about things that you do not know about. (Especially school in a different country.) ;)

My first day was a little...interesting, but on my second day I got my school schedual, and classes officially started. My classes consisted of: music, arts, photography, history, economics and philiosophy.

I actually switched out of my economics and philosophy class; because I was pretty much hopeless for having a chance of understanding Finnish Economics and analizing philosophers in a language I barely know...

Instead I am taking a second history class with the first years (first years are basically Freshman at the high school, but instead it is the equivilant of 10th grade.), and an English class with the first years. (I KNOW what youre thinking...but it actually helps me learn Finnish, because they are translating from Finnish into English.)

I actually really like that class, because my English teacher is the only teacher who can understand me when I speak English. Its interesting that my teachers actually cant understand the way I speak English...and its kinda sad because its hard not being able to communicate in English or Finnish.

I have kinda a funny story though from this week! My photography/art teacher couldnt tell what my drawing was in class, and so I tried my best to tell him in Finnish what it was...but he couldnt understand me. So, of course I expalined it then in English...but I guess he still didnt understand because all he said was, "Good...Job?" and gave me an awkward thumbs up, and then told me to go hang in up on his door...

It was halarious and sad at the same time, because we cant really communicate with each other, and yet we try so hard to understand what the other is saying!

Anyways...back to my classes.

I really like my music class, because my teacher pays attention to me, and lets me participate with everything the class does. We play guitars in that class, and drums, and bass guitars, and we sing...its great!

I really dont understand anything in either of my history classes...im kind of just left alone to do my own thing, and I actually try to listen to what the teacher is saying; however I really understand nothing. So I either doodle a little, or study Finnish...whatever floats my boat for the day. :)

Its funny because it took some of my teachers awhile to figure out I was an exchange student. I would listen to them talk during the entire class, and look at them. But then they would ask me a question, and I would just sit there and look at them blankly, because I would have no clue what was going on. Im sure they thought something was wrong with me, until they realized the fact im an exchange student!

With some of my teachers, they know right away that im an exchange student, because some of them cant pronounce my name on the roll list...I enjoy it sometimes. ;)

My photography class is...intersting. Since I cant communicate with the teacher, I never really know whats going on. He talked for the first few minutes of class, and then all of a sudden everyone got up and left! I awkwardly walked up to my teacher and asked what was going on, and he handed me a camera and told me to keep it until our next class on Tuesday, and then go around the city for the remainder of class and take pictures.

I left the classroom like he said to do for the assignment he gave us...but I honestly wasnt sure about going around the city and taking pictures for the rest of class. I had never been around Oulu city before, and having an assignment to leave school campus and take pictures around the city is so different for me! Its actually a really cool assignment, but I was scared because im used to not being allowed to leave campus during school hours. Even though the teacher told us to, I wasnt sure if I was actually allowed to leave. Its hard to expalin I guess...

I actually walked around the whole block of my school to try to find other students to follow...but they were all already gone! (My school is almost in the heart of the city in Oulu.). So, I ended up just walking back to the school, and sitting on a bench inside and waiting for school to end...I didnt want to get lost my first time wandering around the city.

I guess ill tell you a bit about my school, and some facts about Oulun Lyseon Lukio. My school was built in 1831; so its a REALLY old school! (Which is really cool!) It actually looks like a museum, and its gorgeous! The doors are huge, and the staircases wrap around, and theres a lot of paintings in the school.

Its also an International IB school, but im only taking classes in Finnish instead of going to the English IB side of the school. (I am here to learn Finnish.) :)

Its amazing because three Finnish presidents have gone to Oulun Lyseon Lukio, as well as a Nobel Peace Prize winner. I have been told countless times that the school is actually known as the, "nerd school".

Finnish High School is VERY different in Finland. You actually are not required to go, and you have to apply to the school you want to attend. School is free in Finland, even university; and school lunch in Finland is also free. (Its paid through taxes.) Its very interesting. :)

So, now you know a few little facts about school in Finland. ;)

Hopefully ill start making some friends at school, and of course im also hoping that I start getting a hang of the language!

I guess we will have to wait and see. ;)







2 comments:

  1. School will get easier as you find friends and learn more Finnish. But in terms of classroom learning, for me at least it was mostly a waste. Instead it was about learning the language and customs and spending time with Finnish kids my own age.

    One of my most successful classes was cooking, which I took not at the lukio, but next door at the middle school with my younger host sister. I also took first-year Swedish with the 6th(?) graders, which turned out to be helpful when I switched languages and schools in January.

    You're doing great Jennifer! I'm so glad to be following this journey with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness -- I went to that high school as well.

    Oh -- we found that watching TV with Finnish subtitles really helped a lot to learn the language!

    ReplyDelete