Tuesday, August 20, 2013

First time in Lapland!

This past weekend, my host family took me to Sweden and Lapland!

We went to a little village in Northern Finland, and on the way we drove through Sweden. It was about a 4 hour drive to the village in Lapland, and we stopped after a couple hours to go looking around in Sweden for a bit.

I went with my host mom to some different Kirppis (which is like a little market for used, but nice things.). After that we took a few pictures, and then we went to go eat Swedish meatballs at Ikea.

Ill go ahead and post some pictures:

My first look at Sweden
 
Swedish meatballs at Ikea!
 
After our little stop in Sweden, we kept on driving North. We actually passed the Arctic Circle, and I got to take a few pictures.
 
Oh hey, im at the Arctic Circle! :D
 
Once we got to the little village, we made a fire to make our evening snack in, and then we all went at different times to go sauna and then we had Finnish Makkara (sausage) for an evening snack.
 
The next morning, I picked berries with my host parents. We went out to the garden and there were SO many berries! We are actually going back this weekend to finish picking them all when we go back to Lapland this weekend.
 
Picking berries.
 
The berries before we turned them into juice!
 
 
We made the berries into juice; and it was actually super tart! I didn't like it at first, because it was so sour and tart; but after you drink a glass or two its good. :) I think ill get used to it.
 
I also went Finnish Folk dancing! My host mom likes the old Finnish dances, and so they took me to go dancing at this little place near the village we were staying in. It was so much fun! My host parents taught me a few of the dances, and there was a live band and singer...it was a lot of fun! (despite the fact that I had the opportunity to folk dance with a drunk guy...that was an interesting experience.)
 
I am super excited go to back to Lapland this next weekend, and I am loving this Nordic life of mine in Finland! :)
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment