Wednesday, January 9, 2013

First Exchange Orientation

All of the Rotary Exchange Outbounds from District 5100 recently had our First Orientation for our exchange! I thought I should make a post about it, since I know I havent updated for my exchange in awhile.

The three of us outbound girls from my Rotary Club all car pooled with our Club's Exchange Officer to the 4-H Club where our Orientation was. It wasnt a very long drive, but it sure seemed like a long time! It was fun to be able to talk with our Exchange Officer from our club, and I have to say that I got to know the other two short-term girls from my club pretty well during the three day orientation!

When we got there we put our stuff in the cabins and then met in the gym with everyone else. Our Exchange Officer left, and thats when we were left all on our own. I wasnt scared though, I was SUPER excited to get to know all the other kids who are in the same situation as I am!

I made friends super fast, and we all got sized for our Rotary Blazers and got our pictures for our business cards. Later that night after dinner, we got put into groups. Everyone in our numbered groups (I was in group 3) had to go around a table. I didnt know anyone in my group, and the only things on the table was a bag of big marshmallows, mini marshmallows, and a package of spaghetti.

We were told we had to make a tower out of it. Needless to say we knew we were going to win! After the practice round...we were told we had to do the ENTIRE thing without talking. We ended up smashing up the marshmallows to make a base, which turned into disaster...it was STUCK to the table, and it was ALL over our hands! In the end our "tower" ended up just being a pile of goo stuck to the table.

We lost. And we had to clean the whole mess up...and we were the last group that finished cleaning. We all became pretty good friends after that. And its ONE thing about this Orientation that ill always remember!

The next night, we had a Country Fair with a lot of the In-Bound and Re-Bound exchange students! It was SO much fun! Its crazy how after one day you can make really good friends with people from all over the world...and im super excited to see them all again next month at the ski trip when I find out my Country.

Speaking of Countries...We got to pick our 5 Countries! (Which I might change next month...) I picked Germany as my number one pick. And Switzerland, Austria, Czech Republic/ Slovakia and Finland as my second choices.

Anyways, Im sure I can go on talking about this Orientation...but I saved you the time and summed it all up as best as I could!

No comments:

Post a Comment