Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The Stereotypical Exchange Student

I had an interesting realization today...

I seriously fit the stereotype of an exchange student.

And I haven't totally decided whether or not this is a good thing or not.

I barely speak the language, I have a thick accent, and I generally never know whats going on...

I have learned that there are in fact TWO very different exchange student stereotypes from the media:

Type #1: They speak the language well, and of course they have a nice sounding accent. They are generally really good looking, and they are super popular.

Type #2: They cant speak the language at all, they have a really thick accent, they are weird, and they never know whats going on.


You always have movies about exchange students that are portrayed in both kinds of stereotypes, right? Well...in reality for the MOST part...its never like the movies.

For me, I always feel like when I meet people they always have the same reaction,

"You're really weird...but I like you."

I can only imagine what I must sound like when I try to speak Finnish...but I try, and hopefully soon ill be able to have REAL conversations instead of just being able to get by with someone at least understanding what I am TRYING to say. I can actually SAY a lot...not necessarily that it is at all grammatically correct...but people can get the general idea of what I am trying to say to them, and at least that means I am improving. :)

Today was...interesting to say in the least; which is part of the reason why I decided to introduce the Exchange Student Stereotypes. (Which is why I decided to make a post about today.)



I started with going to school; and it was odd because I was running a bit late, and there weren't nearly as many bikes outside as there normally were. I opened the door and walked inside, and the hallways are almost completely EMPTY...

I went to my class, and there was literally not a single person in the entire hallway.

I sat there and waited...and waited...AND waited...

Thinking about what happened LAST time I was in this situation, I decided to check my email. Of course I got an email from my teacher, and the only words I understood were,

"Hour" and "Morning"

Lovely.

Did that mean class was starting late, or that we didn't have any class?

I had NO idea.

I decided just to sit there and wait just in case....And of course no one showed up.

I decided to wait for my music class, which was in an hour and a half; and an HOUR and a HALF later, I decided to go downstairs and wait by my classroom for my next class to start.

As I was walking downstairs, I kept on seeing these signs on these stands that were all over in the middle of the hallways, and I literally had NO idea what they said...I went and sat on another staircase what was right by my classroom door; and THANKFULLY the other kids in my class were there.

We waited for our teacher...and we waited...and waited...

And then people in my class realized there was a sign on the classroom door, and people started leaving.

What?!

I walked up to the door, and just blankly stared at the piece of paper that was on the door. The only words I understood were:
 
"Hour"
 
"Time"
 
"Teacher"
 
"Car"
 
 
 
How glorious.
 
Eventually a guy that works at the school came and unlocked the door, and by that time half of the class had already left...
 
We all went into the classroom and just sat in our seats.
 
The guy that worked at the school started talking, and he only said a few short sentences before he left...
 
The only word I understood was, "France"
 
What did that mean?!
 
Was my teacher in France?
Was my teacher's CAR in France?
Maybe he said something about French class?
WHY would he be talking about French class?
...Wait; was I even in the right classroom then?!
 
 
After he left, we all just continued to sit there in silence. I REALLY couldn't tell you what was going on, or what we were supposed to do...I wasn't really sure.
 
But eventually after about 20 minutes or so, everyone in my class randomly starting leaving.
 
Apparently our teacher didn't show up, so everyone just left...
 
Beautiful.
 
So, that meant I had ANOTHER 3 and a half hours to wait until my NEXT class...
 
Yes. I waited 5 hours today to go to a single class today.
 
It wouldn't be THIS frustrating if I could actually READ the emails my teachers sent to me, or if I could READ the signs on my teachers classrooms to inform me of these things...I cant help but only imagine how hilarious I must look to other kids at my school when these things happen though.
 
Walking by as the Foreign Exchange Student is standing in the hallway alone utterly confused, wondering WHERE in the heck their class is, and wondering if their whole class has suddenly become invisible...
 
I have now actually begun to get super suspicious whenever I get an email from a teacher now...My first response is always to think, "Nooooooo!!!"
 
I cant read it, and whenever it happens; NO one shows up to class! ...It feels like some sort of cruel April Fools Joke...
 
I never know if its just information for the class, or if the teacher is telling us we don't have class...and since I cant read it, I can never tell what the email is saying!
 
Gaahhhhhh!!!!
 
This is the 5th time this has happened in these past two weeks...5 TIMES!
 
 
 
...Every time I always half expect my class to jump out at me and yell,
 
"HA! We tricked the Foreign Exchange Student!"
 
 
And I swear I DONT skip class...my class skips ME! :(
 
 
To tell you the truth...I really DO LOVE being an exchange student.
 
I love every moment of speaking the language horribly, saying things wrong, ALWAYS being confused, not knowing where to go, and ALL of the other confusing and all of the other incredibly true  stereotypical things that happen as an exchange student....
 
WHY?!
 
Because THATS how you make the best memories!
 
Even though I always feel like a total idiot when im the ONLY one who is waiting for a class that no one will show up to. Even though I look TOTALLY ridiculous when I cant read a map or a simple sign on a classroom door that tells me where my class is. Even though I cant for the LIFE of me read the emails my teachers send me. Even though I speak terrible Finnish and have a thick accent.
 
AND Even though I am a stereotypical exchange student...
 
I love EVERY single minute of it! :)
 
 
I will have the best stories this way, and make the best memories; and its sad to think that my life will actually never be like this again. I am living like a true Finn, and living with a real Finnish family and attending High School like a Finn...
 
My life will NEVER be like this again; and this year is really, really special to me because of it.
 
So, why be embarrassed to make mistakes and look incredibly stupid?!
 
...Im an Exchange Student! Its what we do!
 
Well...im sure SOMEONE in the world could come up with a good argument...but I decided to just start EMBRASING it.
 
I am going to embrace all of the stupid little moments in my day, and start embracing all of the silly language mistakes I make with my horrible accent and speaking skills, and just enjoy all of the silly little moments in my day.
 
My exchange year is still ONLY in the beginning...and these stupid little Stereotypical Exchange Student Moments in my day wont last forever once I start really getting the hang of the language and the customs.
 
You HAVE to learn how to laugh at yourself as an exchange student; and just accept the fact that you are going to make silly mistakes and get yourself into silly situations sometimes. Its just part of the life of an exchange student. :)
 
 
“Personally I like going places where I don't speak the language, don't know anybody, don't know my way around and don't have any delusions that I'm in control. Disoriented, even frightened, I feel alive, awake in ways I never am at home.”
Michael Mewshaw
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 







1 comment:

  1. We made stupid Exchange Student mistakes... pretty much the entire year. Don't worry about it! You'll make great memories that way. We went to Stockholm in the spring and it was seriously the craziest adventure of the entire year; funny what two nights and two days can hold... enjoy it all!

    ReplyDelete