Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Light Bulb Moment!

I know that ive been posting everyday for the past few days...but so much has been going on, and ive wanted to write about them the DAY they happen, so I wont forget!

Anyways,

Today I had the WEIRDEST thing happen to me...

Its like a woke up and *POOF* its like I understand.

It literally feels like someone just turned on the light switch.

Let me explain what this means...

I went to school today, and I ACTUALLY understood my English class...like...SERIOUSLY understood.

And I know what you're thinking, but THIS time it wasn't  just the English!

I ACTUALLY understood 65% of my teacher's Finnish.

 

65%


I mean, sure my English teacher speaks Finnish pretty slow and clear for the most part...but MAN, what happened?!

I swear I didn't understand this much the last time we had class...

I also understood about 30-35% of what my music teacher was saying. (Something about the classical music in Finland and how we needed to discus what we knew about it.)

"Did I seriously just understand that?!"
 
 
 
She of course thought that I didn't understand, (because to be honest, I normally don't understand a single word.) and she translated it for me into English...my first thought was automatically:
 
"Wow....I REALLY understood that..."
 

 

To be honest, I always thought it was really ridiculous when people told me that one day the light switch will just turn on in your brain, and you will start understanding...seriously; it was just NOT realistic!

But today I was literally feeling awesome like a super hero, because for some STRANGE reason, I was ACTUALLY understanding what teachers were saying...

Which is awesome and really creepy at the same time.

How could I just one day go to class and ACTUALLY understand.

You can only imagine what my face looked like...

After WEEKS of not understand a SINGLE word, and then all of a sudden im drawing a picture and I look up because I ACTUALLY understand what the teacher is saying!

I literally wanted to just jump up on the table, and have a party and start dancing around....

(And sorry to disappoint you...but I didn't actually get up and dance around the classroom.)

I DID actually get super excited and gasped and started looking around the classroom at everyone to see if I truly DID understand.

I got a lot of weird looks, and I might have scared some people; because I was so excited. It probably looked really funny, because I was randomly SO excited in class while the teacher was giving a lecture. No one in my class probably had ANY clue as to why I was gasping and looking around...I probably looked pretty delusional...but it literally felt like Christmas morning to me! :)

Im trying not to get TOO over excited about it though, because this IS the first time that I understood anything my teachers said in Finnish; and im not sure if it is something that will last, or if I just got lucky this time.

But now that I am starting to understand more, I wish that people would stop translating for me and switching into English for me. I really DO need to make that transition over to Finnish, and I think that now that its been a little over a month, that I have enough understanding to make the transition over.

I just need to find a nice way to ask people to stop speaking English to me...I always feel mean when im having a conversation with them and I randomly say, "Can you only talk to me in Finnish please?" or "Can we please only talk in Finnish?"

I just feel SO bad because I feel like im being rude...but I really DO need to learn Finnish; and today was pretty exciting because I am finally starting to have these fictional light bulb moments!

But I am still convinced that this is just an exchange student super power...because after weeks of understand absolutely nothing; I finally understood my teacher for once. At first it was rather creepy because it wasn't like I understood one word...and then a while later I understood another word...It was like I actually understood PHRASES and whole SENTENCES.

How is it that after not understanding ANYTHING, one day I show up to class and I actually understood real PHRASES the teachers said?!

It was seriously the most magical moment ive ever had in my entire life...and it felt as it it was literally raining puppies and skittles...

I cant describe it in any other way.

THIS is how happy you feel when after WEEKS of just sitting in a classroom, having NO clue what is going on day after day... and then one day you FINALLY start understanding what's going on.

For the past few weeks at school, (especially in these past two weeks...) I have felt like Alice wandering around Wonderland...

I am seeing all of these new things, hearing people speak a new language, and never really knowing where im going or where I will end up at school.

BUT today was the first time that I ACTUALLY began to understand anything my teachers say!

I sure hope that this feeling of understanding beings to last, because it seriously feels AWESOME!


"It would be so nice if something would make sense for a change."

- Alice in Wonderland

No comments:

Post a Comment