Monday, September 23, 2013

Everyday Random Differences

I made a post about the cultural differences...but I thought that I would also add a list of totally random differences between Finland and the USA, and a short description. I know that a lot of my Finnish friends read my blog, and I am sure they will find this post rather silly...but I just HAD to make a post about it!

1.) The Shower:

The first time I used a shower in Finland, I had NO idea what to do.

It is literally just a shower head, generally placed in the corner of a tiled room; with a drain in the middle of the room. So,You basically shower in an open room without a specific closed area to shower in...its just a shower "room" basically. (But of course the room is closed and no one can see you...but it still felt mighty awkward at first.)

2.) At the bottom of almost EVERY doorway, there is a raised little...platform?

I'm not sure what to call it...but you have to step over this little edge that is raised from the floor at the bottom of the doorway. It's not a step, but it's just this extra piece of wood that is raised from the bottom of the doorway. (I can't explain it any better.)

This is what it looks like.


 I trip over it EVERY time, and I have even fallen at school a few times because I always forget that it's there. It's not very big, and its not a big deal, but I seem to always trip over it. It's very weird for me to have to STEP before I can just walk straight out of a doorway.

I probably look very silly because I have to literally look down and step over it. I can't just walk through it like everyone else, or else I will trip and fall. :P

It's something they all do subconsciously, and I get some pretty wired looks when people watch me step out of a doorway at school.


3.) There is a hose located by the toilet in the bathroom.

I really honestly don't know what it is...but there's a little hose that's always next to all of the toilets.

I feel as though no matter HOW good of friends I am with someone, this is a question that falls into the category of questions TOO awkward to ask anyone...



4.) I have seen more people just casually in their underwear in public than I have in my entire life.

I'm not sure HOW common this ACTUALLY is, so don't take my word for it...But for example: in the span of TWO days, I've seen 8 people in their underwear in the city.

I'll tell you a little story:

I was at a cafe with some exchange students, and we turn around and see some college kids taking off their shoes and socks and putting them in a line...we thought it was kind of weird, so we just turned away and ignored it and started talking.

Not 5 minutes later, we hear yelling. We turn back around and ALL of them are yelling and cheering at each other, standing in their underwear...

Want to hear another story?

 I was in the city center, as I walked by a department store...

There was a dude in the department store window, causally doing yoga in his underwear. :P

Awesome.

I literally rubbed my eyes a little to make sure I was really seeing what I was seeing...and after a good 3 seconds, I awkwardly turned and walked in the opposite direction.

Im not sure how common this REALLY is, so please DONT believe that this is how all of Finland is, or that this is totally normal; because maybe I am just a foreign exchange student who was at the wrong place at the wrong time...who knows. :)



5.) Random sinks at the school

In some of the hallways and classrooms in my school, there are random sinks with soap and paper towel dispensers and mirrors...It's not a bad thing at all; but its just,

BAM- theres a sink!

 I'm not sure just how common this really is in Finland either, but they are in my school. It is not a bad thing at all, and it is actually a really good idea.



6.)  The Crosswalks

People only cross at the crosswalks if the light is green. Seriously. Even if its red and there are NO cars coming, they never cross. They almost ALWAYS wait until its green.

To be completely honest, my worst habit at home in the USA was Jay-Walking. (Jay Walking is basically just randomly crossing the street without a cross walk, and not watching for cars.)

And even although I hate admitting this...but I always just crossed the street wherever, even if cars were coming. Which is NOT what you should do, so NEVER take advice from me when it comes to crossing the street!

 I have only Jay-Walked twice since being here; and I have actually gotten yelled at once for walking the cross walk when the light was red, even though there weren't cars coming.

This is something that I REALLY need to learn; and I think this is the number one way you can automatically tell I'm not Finnish.

If the light is red, and no cars are coming; I always walk. (Its a HORRIBLE habit.)

Finnish people almost never, ever do that.

I know that I should just wait for the light to turn green like every other Finnish person...but for some reason I just can't!

If I want to cross the street, I just do!

 To be honest, I don't think I've ever waited for the light to turn green at a cross walk before. (Sorry mom and dad.)



7.) Riding bikes with no hands

This makes me SO jealous! I always see kids riding their bikes, and they are almost always riding them without using their hands. Its not unusual to see kids eating, texting or reading while riding a bike without their hands.

I think it really takes some serious talent...talent that I do not have. :(

8.) The clouds

This is going to sound silly...but the clouds literally look animated!

They ALWAYS look absolutely perfect like someone painted them there.

Its amazing!



And those are 8 random little differences between Finland and the USA. Of course these are just personally little differences that I have found, and please don't take them all to heart because every person's opinion is different. These are 8 little differences that I have found myself while on my exchange so far, and I just wanted to share with you some of the little things that I have found during my 7 weeks in Finland. :)

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with 3, 5, 6 and 7, I have seen these "different" things. And one day maybe I'll be comfortable enough with someone to ask about those hoses... When I know I'll inform you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hoses are called "bidet showers". Google what they are used for.

    And the sinks are just for washing hands or getting some water to drink or something. It's faster than going to the bathroom to do that.

    ReplyDelete