Thursday, March 21, 2013

ACT Prepping

Let me tell ya...the days and weeks between waiting for your exchange are probably the most boring weeks you will ever have so far in your life.

My life consists of an on-going cycle: Sleeping; Going to School; ACT Prep; Tutoring; Homework and Studying; Eating. And REPEAT.

The last semester of school before an exchange is full of school work; and waiting and waiting and waiting. These past few weeks have been nothing but school work for me. Which I guess is good because it gets my mind off of a bunch of other stuff; including waiting for my host city and district.

For a Rotary exchange student; It is suggested that you take your SAT/ACT before your exchange. They suggest this for a lot of different reasons; but it is mainly because then you can get it out of the way BEFORE your exchange so you wont have to stress about taking it your senior year. Another reason they try and have you take it before you leave on exchange is because hopefully your English wont be as good when you arrive home; and so your score will be a lot lower than it would have been if you took it before you leave prior to your exchange.

I decided to contact a learning center and recently been doing ACT prep there three times a week for a two hour session each visit. I went into the center on Monday to take a previous ACT test that they dont use anymore; just to see where I was with my score and skills they test you on in the test. Last night I went back to receive my score and see how I did before I started getting my tutoring help for prepping for the ACT.

Today however; I went to my first ACT prep session! My English tutor gave me a few different ACT prepping books; and gave me some resources and homework to do over Spring Break which will help me with the English portion of the ACT test. Which isn't that big of a deal I guess.

Since I am taking the test a year earlier than the kids in my grade; I really want to get the best score I can before I leave for Finland. I really suggest doing this if you know ANYONE who is looking into exchange.

Your SAT/ACT scores are super important and its really awesome if you can take it before you leave; and if you can take a prep class or even just study alone to ensure that you can get your goal score before you leave. It will definitely be beneficial for you and take A LOT of stress off of you for your senior year of high school when you arrive home.

I have 10 official weeks until I take the test in June! I just hope I can get a good enough score where I wont have to retake it my senior year.

No comments:

Post a Comment