Friday, February 22, 2013

FINLAND!

I am pleased to announce that as of February 9th I am going to FINLAND 2013-2014 for my junior year of high school as a Rotary Exchange Student!

I painted my nais the flag after I found out!
 
I have started researching about Finland and have started learning a bit of Finnish. So far; I know basics and colors and even animals. However; I guess a lot of people do not know much about Finland...so I have decided to make a list of some Fun-Facts of Finland.
 
1.) Finland is known of the "Land Of A Thousand Lakes" (Finland has over 188000 lakes!)
2.) There are 1.8 million saunas in Finland.
3.) Santa Claus has his office in the North of Finland.
4.) Finland is the seventh largest country in Europe, in terms of area.
5.) 68% of the country is covered by forest.
6.) The Finnish currency is Euro.
7.) The language of the elves in the famous movie based on a book, Lord Of The Rings, is based on Finnish.
8.) There are two official languages of Finland: Finnish and Swedish
9.) A quarter of the country’s total area lies north of the Arctic Circle.
10.) Finland is situated in northern Europe and shares its borders with Sweden, Norway and Russia.
 
I got this out of a cookie a few days after I found out...I thought it was perfect!
 
 
Finland was my first choice country and I am very excited to be able to go as an Exchange Student to Finland! Suprisingly, people still come up to me and ask if I am excited to go back to France. People seem to be shocked when I tell them I am officially going to Finland. And their next question is always, "Why Finland?!". I chose Finland for many different reasons. Its different: the weather, foods, LANGUAGE and of course schools and culture.
 
In the USA we dont hear about Finland very often; and I wanted to go somewhere where I wouldnt get the chance to go to again. Without this experience; I probably would never get to step foot in Finland. This makes me so excited to be able to go to such a beautiful country and learn such a different and crazy langauge. To be honest; for now I dont know much about Finland. But thats what makes this so exciting for me.
 
“Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
 

No comments:

Post a Comment