Tuesday, April 2, 2013

My First Host Family and School!

Yesterday morning I got an email when I woke up that told me I was going to Oulu; Finland! With that email I got my got a picture of my guarantee forms! (Guarantee Forms are forms that allow you to get your visa for exchange. They state your school name; your host rotary club and district as well as your first host family!)

I decided to use the email on my forms to try and email my first host mom. I tried to use Finnish in my email; however I dont think that my Finnish was good enough to understand, so I switched to English. And the next day my host mom emailed me back!!!!

My host mom's name is Elise and my host dad's name is Hannu. They have three kids: my host brother, Aleksi; my host sister, Fanni and my other host sister; Milla.

Aleksi and Fanni are both older and are graduated from high school and are attending university; and Milla is my age and is going to be an exchange student in Colorado. My host dad is a police officer; and my host mom says that he loves sports (especially hockey.); and my host mom is a kindergarden.  teacher. I also have a host dog named, Roope! :D

My host mom said that my host siblings will be returning back to university in the Fall; and that Milla will be leaving for her exchange around the same time as I arrive. But; they said that I am always welcome to invite friends over after I meet some at school; and that the dog would be happy to hang out with me. :)

I am VERY happy with my host family! My host parents sound wonderful; and I am very excited to meet them and get to be a part of their family.

I am also attending school at Oulun Lyseon Lukio; and I start school August 12th!




Here is a picture of the inner court of my school


I am BEYOND excited for this exchange! I wish I could leave today! Now that I know my host family; and my school I am so ready for this experience. :)




3 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm really glad I found your blog. I will be attending the Mahindra United World College of India next year for which I also started a blog and it's great to read someone's else's experiences with studying abroad and leaving home for a year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, India sounds amazing! Thank you; ill have to check out your blog as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jennifer! I'm Grace and I'll be going to Denmark this upcoming exchange year though Rotary. I'm about to find out my host family and host city and I've read this post a couple times already because I really love it, but i keep coming back to it now because it also keeps me sane until I get my first email :P. Anyway, I also follow your blog, it's awesome!!

    Nakemiin :-)
    Hej Hej!

    ReplyDelete